CGU Faculty have a variety of options for adding and sharing Media in their Canvas courses.
- Easy Video Uploading - Upload any type of media (video, audio, images) using a simple interface
- Capture Personal Recordings - Easily record yourself or capture your screen to create and publish media.
- YouTube - Add YouTube video content and metadata.
- Organize and Publish - Take private content from My Media and publish it to a Media Gallery or post it in an inline text.
- My Media – Upload, manage, assign, and share content (based on permissions) with a private media library for each Canvas user.
- Course Media Gallery – Search or view rich media assigned to a course if you are a member. Media can be added by instructors or students, with an option for student contributions moderation by instructors.
Users can upload videos and share them with others in Canvas courses through the Shared Repository. Content that is uploaded through My Media or a course Media Galley is not automatically uploaded to the Shared Repository. Student and Faculty can publish to the shared repository through My Media, or through an Entry page.
- Select Media Upload from the Add New drop down menu.
- Drag and drop a file or click the "Choose a file to upload" button.
- Select a media file to upload and click Open.
- During the upload, you can enter details about the content or Click Cancel to cancel the upload.
To view the media page when uploading is complete, select My Media from the User drop down menu or access the My Media tab in your course. (Note: After a video or audio is uploaded, it is converted for optimal playback. You cannot preview or publish a video during conversion.
To create media using your Webcam Recorder and/or Microphone
- Select Express Capture from the + Add New drop down menu. The Record Media page is displayed.
- (Optional) Set the Camera or Audio Settings. The default settings are your personal computer's webcam and audio device.
- Click the Settings icon to select the source camera (if you have multiple cameras) or audio device (if you have multiple audio devices) and to turn the camera/audio on/off.
- Click the Record button to begin your recording. (A three second countdown window is displayed.)
- Start Recording.
- Click the Stop button to end your recording.
- Choose Record Again to retake the recording or Use This to use the current recording. “Record Again” discards the current recording and reverts to the Record button where you can retake the recording.
- Select Use This when you are satisfied with the recording (after as many retakes as needed), to upload. The Upload window is displayed.
- Select Download a Copy to save a copy locally before uploading.
- Enter the details about the media and click Save.
- Select the Privacy Settings. When adding new media and entering details, select if the media will be private, unlisted, or automatically published to specific categories and/or channels once processing is complete.
To add media from YouTube
Select YouTube from the Add New drop down menu. The YouTube page is displayed.
Enter the Video URL or the Content ID and click Preview. (To obtain the URL, right click on the video in YouTube and copy the URL. Only public YouTube videos are supported.)
Click Preview to edit the YouTube entry and enter details about the content, such as the Name, Description and Tags.
Click Go to Media or Go to My Media. (Note: you cannot add video presentations or YouTube media to playlists.)