If you prefer to have one file that can be modified from a single source and automatically updated in Canvas, consider using the Microsoft OneDrive - Canvas Integration. With an embedded OneDrive file in Canvas, you only need to update the syllabus in one location, and the file is easy to share with your department or colleagues in addition to its role in Canvas. Additionally, the embedded document will continue to appear in future iterations of the course in Canvas if you copy your current content into a new course site.
Step 1. Create your syllabus.
- Using Microsoft Word, use your CGU syllabus template to create your course syllabus.
- If you are not already working in OneDrive, sync the file to OneDrive. As a best practice, create a folder for all items related to the course, and sync the full file to OneDrive.
Step 2. Use the Microsoft OneDrive integration in Canvas.
- Log into your course site or sandbox in Canvas, then click on the Syllabus link in the left navigation menu. Press the Edit button at the top-right of the screen.
- Delete any template content or content copied from other courses.
- Put your cursor in the editing window, then click on the plug-shaped Apps button in the editing toolbar. Select Microsoft OneDrive from the drop-down menu. If it does not appear, you may need to click on View All, and then select Microsoft OneDrive from the list.
- Locate your syllabus document in the OneDrive window, and select the document.
- Click on the Embed button.
- Press the Save & Publish or Save button.
Step 3. Customize Preview Size.
- If you are comfortable with HTML, you can use the HTML editor to adjust the preview window size. If you need assistance, feel free to contact OIT.
No additional action is needed during the semester. Any change you make in your original document in OneDrive will automatically appear in Canvas. If you want to make changes without publishing them in Canvas, save a copy of the document with a different name. You can also share your OneDrive document as an email attachment to share with colleagues in your department.
If you need any help adding syncing your file to OneDrive or embedding your OneDrive file in Canvas, please contact the help desk. Video tutorials are also provided below.
What is OneDrive? (1 minute)
Available online: OneDrive Training / Intro to OneDrive / What is OneDrive?
Get Started with OneDrive (1 minute 39 seconds)
Available online: OneDrive Training / Intro to OneDrive / Get Started with OneDrive
OneDrive Basics (1 minute 26 seconds)
Upload Files and Folders (1 minute 16 seconds)
Create Files and Folders (1 minute)
Turn on OneDrive Backup (1 minute)
Sync OneDrive Files and Folders (1 minute 28 seconds)
Rich Content Editor (RCE) (5 minutes)
Available online: Canvas / Video Guide / Rich Content Editor